Education, Business and Technology NowdaysHomeContact Us
The cyber world has gone ablaze with the term ‘IP address’ in recent years. With the aim of the tech-giants to establish the world as a global village, communication devices are now accessible to most of the people around the world. However, as they say, with great power, comes great responsibility, the case has been true when it comes to managing IP addresses. With the ever-increasing number of mobile phones, laptops and other such devices, the risk of network outages and conflicts has increased too. Moreover, it becomes difficult to get hold of the multiple DNS & DHCP services. That’s where an IP address management software can mend ways. IPAM refers to the regular surveillance, auditing, and management of various IP addresses in an organization or a firm. Nowadays, even imagining a successful company without IPAM would seem terrible.
How does it work?
The most basic function of an IP address management software is to manage the address space used in a network. An IP address is subdivided into various Subnets, according to which address is transferred. IPAM spectates all the subnets and assigns the addresses according to the same. It integrates the DNS and DHCP which makes it more efficient to work. For instance, by integrating both the DNS and DHCP, the DNS now keeps updating itself whenever a new address is entered via DHCP. When the DNS pointer and address resource records are registered with a DHCP server, an additional server is required to update the information in the DNS. IPAM helps in allowing cooperation between the DNS and the DHCP. Without IPAM software, the DHCP alone would not be able to update the last information contained in the DNS.
The Significance Of IPAM
IPAM is being widely used everywhere, in almost every field which requires online handling. Even the small companies keep manual spreadsheets to manage and update IP addresses. However, the manual method doesn’t work out when it comes to big companies. In that case, an IPAM becomes an urgency. Here are some important points which can’t be left out while thinking of the reasons to adopt IPAM:
- Get all the detailed network information at once! You can spectate your network in depth and ensure the efficiency of address transfer and management. IPAM helps you generate authentic reports on your network based on various factors such as IP address status, hostnames or DHCP leased data.
- Network Security, still in doubt? When you have everything under your vision, the chances of security breaches automatically become less. The same goes for IPAM. With all the information regarding the use of different address spaces, their access time and the assigned devices under surveillance, security breaches become easy to identify, be it through a domestic or a foreign source.
- Strict Regulation: Various organizations have come up with strict rules and regulation regarding IP address management. For example, in situations where it’s urgent, firms are even required to display all the information regarding the devices assigned and the users involved in the address management.
- Without an IPAM software, two servers which are assigned with the same name might conflict with each other, resulting in various errors in the network. An IPAM helps reduce all these conflicts by keeping a regular check on the server names.
- In case an address remains unused after assignment, it becomes necessary to reassign its address. In such cases, IPAM helps in finding out the unused subnets thus making it easier for you to reassign them.
With almost every work being done online in the contemporary world, it’s important for you to keep pace with the world. Being dependent on the old methods of IP address management might give regular hiccups to you. That is definitely not the case with an IPAM software. Thus, buy one now and forget the fuss about the address management in your network.